The Alhambra was a large hall first built in Syracuse in 1884. A very popular spot for roller skating, boxing, wrestling and musical events. It burned on November 13, 1899. But rebuilt a year later (1900) at 267-279 James Street, just a few block east of downtown. The Alhambra was the largest auditorium of its day (War Memorial did not open till Sept. 1951) hosting New York State conventions, local political rallies, many popular boxing matches, indoor football games, religious gatherings and a host of music entertainment . The Alhambra was destroyed by fire for its final time February 11, 1947.