Wednesday, October 10, 2012

HISTORY OF SYRACUSE MUSIC- CHAPTER 38 - THE WHO IN SYRACUSE 1969 & 1981 (Updated)


Today I read of Pete Townshend new biography being released and recently watched The WHO on the Palladia Music Television Network "BBC Electric Promo Live from the Roundhouse in London". It brought back many great memories of their shows in Syracuse.

November 15, 1969 at 8 PM at the War Memorial presented by Buffalo Festival. Tickets were $5.50. $4.50, $3.50. The Who arrived in Syracuse from Buffalo where they performed at Kleinhans Music Hall the evening before. Although not co-promoted by any radio station Rick Gary & I represented WOLF Radio and were lucky enough to meet and have photo taken backstage at the War Memorial with the band (Roger Daltrey, Peter Townshend, John Entwistle and Keith Moon). Note- We were sitting on the backstage stairs leading to their dressing room. Keith Moon was sitting directly behind me had his drum sticks extending out of each of my ears, laughing.  To my right Townshend, to left Entwistle and directly in front of me Daltrey. What a thrill. Rick had the honor of introducing The Who on stage to an excited Syracuse audience.  That evening they played I Can't Explain, Young Man Blues, Substitute and others before they performed the entire rock opera "Tommy". The WHO ended the evening with a four-song encore that included "Summertime Blues" that would be included in their album "Live At Leeds." Of course "Tommy" itself included may great songs including- Amazing Journey, See Me, Feel Me, Acid Queen, I'm Free and Pinball Wizard.

December 10, 1982 at the Carrier Dome- The Second part of their North American Tour. The second part of the "Its Hard Tour" started November 27 in Orlando, Florida and ended December 14 in Cleveland, Ohio. In a packed Syracuse Carrier Dome December 10, 1982, the WHO at 7 PM opened with  "My Generation" and followed with 23 others listed below. It long so here we go...listed in order. Tickets started at $15.00

My Generation, I Can't Explain,  Dangerous, Sister Disco, The Quiet One, It's Hard, Eminence Front, Behind Blue Eyes, Babe O'Riley, Doctor Jimmy, Boris the Spider, Drowned, Cry I f You Want, Who Are You, Pinball Wizard, See Me, Feel Me, Love Ain't for Keepin, 5:15,  Love, Reign O'ver Me, Long Live Rock, Won't Get Fooled Again. ending with encore songs Naked Eye, Squeeze Box and Twist and Shout.

PS. I noticed they are still selling backstage sticker  passes for Dec 10, 1982 show on eBay....

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ron, thanks for sharing your fond and funny (about Keith and his sticks in your ears) memories of The Who concert at War Memorial. Today is the 52 year Anniversary of that show (Nov. 16th, 1969). Are you able to send me the photo of you with The Who backstage? Do you know of any photos of the concert itself? You can email me at
    whoshaq@aol.com or message me on Facebook at the name Marc Starr :)

    Thank you,Marc

    ReplyDelete